Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gemma: Tiles Project Evaluation


For some time at the beginning of this project I found it hard to come up with an idea that would not only pay attention to the brief but an idea that would also be able to be reflected over all eight tiles.

Because I felt as though I was wasting so much of my time trying to think of an idea, I decided to just pick one of the topics from the brief; this was ‘how to stay abreast of design trends.’

From here most of my inspiration came from research. I looked into books, magazines and Internet sites and then had the idea to represent each 10-year period in graphic design onto each tile.

I completed all tiles in Photoshop as I was using mainly images and shapes in my layers and I found this was the best way to do it. I didn’t come across any major issues through the designs, although one aspect I needed to get my head around was the bleed and crop marks that needed to be set for printing. I found it very useful go and talk to the printers that were going to print the project about what they prefer you to do and set up for them on the document.

I was happy with my end result and the prints that I got from them. If I were to get a similar project printed like this one I think I would have gone for a thicker paper, just to make it stronger and more durable which therefore would probably allow them to withstand more contact and make them last that bit longer. Other than that, I thought they all fit fairly well together as a design composition and do the job in representing each time period in design which is what I intended to do.

No comments: